Friday, March 15, 2013

Chicken Coops for the Soul

Since I don't have any new house photos to share, I'll bore you with some future plans.

I have been promised chickens. Well, I have been promised that I will be allowed chickens. I'm pretty sure this means that I have to take care of them and Brad will tolerate them. As Spring creeps closer I am getting more and more excited to add to our furry, or in this case, feathered, family. My first step is finding the perfect coop. We can't just have any old coop in the backyard. It has to be "The Coop". I have high standards.

#1 I has to have a completely enclosed run area.

#2 It needs to house at least 10 hens.

#3 I want something that is easy to clean.

#4 It MUST look pretty. I like pretty things.

#5 Budget friendly. The chickens really don't care if they have a million dollar mansion.

Here are some ideas that I've found so far...




The next step is picking out chickens. I really want a variety of eggs. I want to open my fridge and have year round easter eggs! My niece has specifically requested blue and pink eggs. I'm allowing myself one non-functional bird because I am simply in love with Sultan chickens!


This guy is a Rockstar. I dub thee "King Cluck". He came to party.

Aside from my super awesome useless chicken, breeds I'm cosidering are Brahmas, Ameraucanas, Orphington, Plymoth Rocks, Sussux, and Java, and Cochins. Anyone have any experience with chickens? I would love some recommendations on what breeds to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment