Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Wall Dilemma


I've been scouring the internet for ideas for the walls.

Mobilehomeliving.org has become my new favorite website. A lot of what I've seen has been to either texturize the walls or use bead board and go with a board and batten look. I like the clean lines of the bead board, but it's a bit more of a country look which I'm not loving so much. I love the idea of a more modern board and batten/wainscot look, but thinking about the mass amount of trim boards we would have to buy kind of make my head spin. I think it would be a great way to not only hide the wall strips, but also make the interior look a bit more "us".

For the floors we've decided to try plywood. We are planning on ripping sheets of plywood into 1' x 8' boards and laying (lying? Danica?) it like a normal hardwood floor. After the floors are down we are going to stain then a dark brown/black color and then probably poly over them for durability.
I found a tutorial for someone did the same thing. They ended up leaving them natural, which I really like the look of, but I'm a little over having light colored floors. I found a blog with a picture of a stain color which they called Kona Brown that I really liked. Hopefully it will look the same on fresh plywood. I'm going to do a practice run with a few different options and see how it goes.

The last major change we are planning is painting all of the cabinets. The kitchen cabinets are going to be white and I think I'm going to end up paining the counter tops a dark gray. They are this hideous combination of blue, gray, and pink right now and I just don't thinks that's going to work for us. Oh, and I'm crossing my finger for a new kitchen sink. My list just keeps getting longer and longer it seems. Every day I wake up and hope that a little magic fairy is going to have visited the new house and completed my entire wish list for me and every day I'm disappointed. Maybe tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment